HOW TO REPLACE OR REPAIR YOUR CAR KEYS
What to do if your car key is lost or damaged
The three essential items that most of us will not leave home without are our keys, phone, and wallet. So what happens when the key to our vehicle is lost, stolen, broken, or not working?
The parts and service departments at Proctor Acura in Tallahassee, FL are here to help you with key replacement, reprogramming, and repair.
HOW MUCH DOES KEY REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT COST?
It depends on the style and age of your car key
Most new vehicles today come with a smart key fob or transponder (remote) key, as opposed to a traditional, metal key that turns on the ignition.
Modern technology has provided both convenience and improved security. Thanks to advanced key technology, car theft has decreased. However, more embedded technology also means that key repair and replacement has become more challenging.
KEY REPLACEMENT AVERAGE COST: $40 - $300*
*Price based on single key. Prices vary based on age and style of key, as well as complexity of repair. Due to the ongoing microchip shortage and supply chain disruptions, key replacements are subject to availability based on model and trim.
WHAT KIND OF KEY DO I NEED TO FIX OR REPLACE?
The type of key can impact the cost of repair or replacement.
- Can contain no technology (1990’s or older) or can have embedded chip that activates ignition (starting with 1998 & newer models).
- Does not require an appointment if making duplicate copy from spare key.
- Requires appointment & vehicle on-site if key is lost or broken.
- 15-20 minute visit if original key is present.
- Depending on year & tech features of key, repairs can range from $40-$800. Cars with embedded chips (including 1997-2005 NSX) are responsible for the most costly repairs since they may require of entire mobilizer control unit if key is lost or missing.
- A traditional turn-style metal key with embedded microchip & remote feature on handle.
- When inserted, key sends a signal to the vehicle that activates the transponder.
- IF REMOTE STILL FUNCTIONS, Programming is $75.00 per key. No appointment required but car does have to be on-site.
- IF REMOTE IS MISSING/BROKEN, repairs cost $150-200.Car must be on-site & appointment is required.
- Comes standard on most modern vehicles.
- When key is within range of vehicle, the vehicle will turn on at push of a button without key being inserted into ignition.
- Is the most technologically complex type of key & therefore, can cost the most to repair or replace.
- Cost to replace starts at $200. Appointment is required & car must be present at the dealership to replace.
KEY REPLACEMENT & REPAIR FAQS
Things to know before booking your service visit
Having a spare key provides peace of mind, and makes it easier to make a duplicate key if one goes missing. However, many times a spare key isn't readily available when the primary key goes missing.
If you have a spare key available, a duplicate key can typically be made by bringing the spare key in to the dealership. Call to consult a service advisor and to schedule an appointment.
If you do not have a spare key readily available, the vehicle must be ON-SITE to have a new key programmed. Unfortunately, this often means that the vehicle must be towed to the dealership for key replacement and reprogramming.
Car key repair and replacement is rarely covered under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty. But the good news is that modern car keys are incredibly durable, and tend to last for a long time without breaking or needing battery replacement.
Extended warranties are available that would cover key repair or replacement. To inquire about extended warranties, contact our sales department at: (850) 972-1303
In the event that your key is lost or damaged, check your auto insurance policy to see if your plan covers key loss, theft, and replacement! Some roadside assistance programs, like AAA, may also cover a tow to dealership in the event that you need a key repaired or replaced.
If your transponder key or smart key fob requires a battery replacement, Proctor Acura can replace battery for you, starting at $7.00.
Many people choose to take a DIY approach, and handle the battery change at home. Most key cases are easy to open, and can be pried apart using a coin or small screwdriver. Modern key fobs typically list the type of battery in embossed text on the backside of the fob.
While you can use a standard battery from the store, you can also opt to order a replacement battery from the Proctor Acura Parts Department, and then replace it yourself.
What happens if you have a replacement key made for your vehicle, and THEN your old key turns up? Will the old key still work?
For transponder-style keys, while the actual metal key will likely still work to open doors, the key may NOT start the ignition, since the car has been reprogrammed to activate from a new remote signal (for safety purposes so that a lost or stolen key cannot be used to access your vehicle).
If you locate your key after having a replacement made, contact the service department to see if you can have the old key reprogrammed to work on your vehicle as an extra set. This will depend on the particular type of key it is. Reprogramming starts at $75.00 per key.
FOR MORE KEY QUESTIONS & TO SCHEDULE SERVICE
Call our Service Department (850) 608-0327 or Schedule Below
Monday-Friday 8:30am - 7:00pm
Saturday 9:00am - 6:00pm
Service & Parts Department:
Monday-Friday 7:30am - 5:30pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 2:00pm