HOW IS THE VALUE OF MY TRADE DETERMINED?
Though your trade-in value may vary between online calculators and different dealerships, the criteria used to determine the value of your trade is usually the same and includes:
Age of vehicle, mileage, exterior & interior condition, collision & repair history, popularity of model, seasonality, and market fluctuations.
LEARN THE BASICS OF TRADING YOUR CAR
WILL MY TRADE VALUE VARY BETWEEN DEALERS?
Your trade-in value will likely differ slightly from one dealership to the next.
This is because different manufacturers offer different incentives that may be rolled into your trade-in value, making it appear that they are offering you more than it is worth.
This difference in trade-in offers occurs because auto manufacturers may offer different incentives that can be used along with your trade-in value, making it appear that they are offering you more than your trade may be worth.
It is best to know your vehicle’s approximate value by calculating it online before comparing trade-in offers from various dealerships. In addition to our 30-Second Instant Appraisal tool above, there are also websites such as Consumer Reports, KBB and Edmunds that provide unbiased calculations of your car’s value.
CAN I TRADE IN MY CAR BEFORE MY AUTO LOAN IS PAID OFF?
Circumstances can change quickly, and sometimes your vehicle needs are fast-changing, too. A baby-on-the-way may require more passenger space, or perhaps you’ve relocated and need better fuel economy or AWD! The great news is that whether your car is paid off or not, trading is always an option.
If your car is worth more than what you owe on your auto loan,, the loan for your traded vehicle will be paid off and any additional money (positive equity) will be used as a down payment on your new vehicle.
If your car is worth less than the amount you owe on your loan (negative equity) the amount you owe on your traded vehicle will be added to the amount you need to finance on your new vehicle.
CAN I TRADE MY CAR WITHOUT VISITING THE DEALERSHIP?
Save time and enjoy the convenience of starting your trade-in process directly from your own computer. When starting the buying process online, our trade-in estimation tool will immediately adjust the purchase price of any new or used vehicle you have selected and reflect the value of your trade-in vehicle as a down payment.*Vehicle trade-in value determined on the Proctor Acura website is an estimate of fair market value. Actual condition of vehicle must be confirmed through an in-person dealer inspection to finalize the trade-in offer.
HOW TO GET THE BEST PRICE FOR YOUR TRADE
The biggest factors that determine how much you’re offered for your trade-in are the age, mileage, condition, history, and popularity of your vehicle. However, some simple improvements to your car can help ensure you get the best offer possible when it’s time to trade-in.
- Clean the exterior and interior of your vehicle before taking it to the dealer
- Complete any outstanding small maintenance tasks (tire pressure, oil changes, etc) so that the check engine light isn’t on.
- It may be worthwhile to replace missing hubcaps or balding tires to increase your value before trading in.
- Gather any extra accessories like extra sets of keys, transmitters, navigation system DVD/SD cards - anything that should be included with the trade-in so you can get credit for those features.
- Have an idea of your car's estimated value after fully inspecting the vehicle so you have a more accurate idea of what to expect when you get to the dealership. Use our Trade-In tool at the top of this page for an instant price.